Sunday, September 16, 2007

an oddly horrible day

I've never had such a horrible day, one when I've felt such a want for dancing. Not the ordinary silly kind, but the old jolly tottering of the black and white day. With a full prettied gown with a whole bunch of layers, and dark curls piled high in a tall lovely bonnet. When a nod and a curtsy were a manner of speech and dancing, oh dancing.. being asked to a dance by a handsome young man, all made up in his marvelous suiting, being lost in the swirl of dresses and curls.. the dancing.. the dancing.. the murmurs, the silent love.. in the dancing.
Somehow this want had led me to accent my speech and totter my walk into one of a swaying sort; it's made me hold my head in somewhat of a tilt and it's made me curtsy unnecessarily. It's made me jolly, in an odd sort of way.

"Oh if you'd want to be so refined, you'd have to be dead. There's no one as dignified as a mummy."
~Pride and Prejudice (a most delightful viewing when seen in the original Nineteen-Forty theatrical exhibition)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( in fl we will dance the silly dance......:)

-one who should listen more often

Fajita said...

we shall dance...in the damn t-storms expected at every hour for the next ten days... :'(