Tuesday, March 27, 2007

by Don Isaac Abravanel

So I escaped alone to the KIngdom of Castile from the sword of my opressor. I came there as a sojourner, and in order to pay my debt to them for saving me, I turned my attention to an investigation of the Scriptures. I made notes on the books of Joshua, Judges, and Samuel. This took place in the yar 1484. As I intended to begin a commentary on teh books of Kings, I was summoned before Ferdinand, King of Spain, the mightiest of the kings of teh earth who ruled the kingdoms of Castile, Aragon, Catalonia, Sicily, and other Mediterranean islands. I went to the court of the King and the Queen, and for a long time I served them, finding grace in teheir eyes and in teh eyes of the first princes of the realm. I was in their service for eitht years, begin blessed with wearlth and honor. But as a result of my heavy duties to the King, my literary efforts slackened, and I abandoned my inheritance from the Kings of Israel and Judah for the King of Aragon and Castile.

In 1492 the King of Spain seized the great city of Granada, together with the whole kingdom. His haughtiness broughtr a chnage of character; his power led him to sin against his God. He thougth to himself: "How can I better show my gratitude to my God, Who gave victoryto my army and put this city into my power, than by bringing under His wing the scattered flock of Israel that walks in darkness? How shall I better serve Him than to bring back to to His faith the apostate daughter? Or, if they remain stiffnecked, to drive them to another land so that they will not dwell here nor be seen in my presence?" (who ever knew this guy was so righteous. I'm blown.)

Consequently the KIng enacted a decree as fixed as the law of the Medes and the Persians. He commanded that the children of Israel could remain in the country only if they submitted to baptism; but if they were unwilling to embrace Christian faith, they must leave the territories of Spain, Sicily, Majorca, and Sardinia. "Within three months," he decreed, "there must not remain in my kingdoms a single Jew."

I was at the court when teh decree was proclaimed. I was disconsolate with grief. Thrice I addressed teh King, imploring his mercy: "O King,j save your loyal subjects. Why do you act so cruellly toward us? We have prospered in tehis land and we would gladly give all we possess for our country." I begged my noble friends at court to intercede for my people. The King's most trusted counsellors pleaded deperately that he revoke the decree and turn from his design to destro y the Jews. But his ears were closed a though he were stone deaf. *

The Queen, seated at his right, opposed revoking teh decree; she pressed him to complete the task he had begun. Our exertions were therefore withough effect.(women.)

Despite the fact that I neither rested nor relaxed, the thunderbolt struck.

*It is reported that the King, persuaded by a delegation headed by the author promising a payment of 300,000 ducats, was on the point of revoking the decree when Torquemada, the notorious Inquisitor, appeared on the scene and declared, "Judas Iscariot sold his Master for 30 pieces of silver. You want to sell him for 300,000 ducats. Here He is-take Him and sell Him!" The decree wbecme irrevocable.

No comments: