Friday, March 16, 2007

In Praise of Folly

Now here's the thing about Desiderius Erasmus. He was a Northern Humanist, a Religious one, too. He never rejected or undermined the Papacy's authority, he just though that even the common man should have an understanding of the Bible and of his connection to G-d.
Which is why he said, "I wish that even teh weakest woman should read the Gospel... I long that the husbandmen should sing portions of them to himself as he follows the plough, that the weaver should hum them to the tune of his shuttle, that the traveler should beguile with their stories the tedium of his journey."
Which might be why he wrote a new edition of the Greek New Testament. And why the above quote is from its preface:)
And also why he wrote this satire against theologians and Church dignitaries:

Excerpt from The Praise of Folly, 1511

FOLLY: But no one sacrifices to Folly, they say, an dno one built a temple dedicated to her! Indeed, I myself, as I said, fid thie inngratitude somewaht surprising. Sitll, I am good natured enough to take this also in good part, though I couldn't really want such things anyway. Why should I need a bit of incense or grain or a goat or a hog, when all mortals everywhere in the world worship me with the kind of homage that even the theologians rank highest of all? ...I condider that I am being worshiped with the truest devotion when men everywhere do precisely what they now do: embrace me in their hearts, express me in their conduct, represent me in their lives. Clearly this sort of devotion to the saints, even among Christians, is not exactly common. What a huge flock of people light candles to the virgin mother God- even at noon, when there is no need! But how few of them strive to imitate her chastity, her modesty, her love for the things of heaven! (sound familiar to anyone? kinda close to home...) For, in the last analysis, that is true worship, the kind which is by far the most pleasing to saints in heaven. Furthermore, why should I want a temple, since the whole world, unless I am badly mistaken, is a splendid temple dedicated to me? (familiar, familiar) Nor will there ever be a lack of worshipers, as long as there is no lack of men. Moreover, I am no so foolish as to require stone statues decked out in gaudy colors. For sometime these are a drawback to the worship of us gods- that is, when stupid numbskulls adore the figures instead of the divinities (and yeh, this is the line I posted for:)), and thenwe are left in teh position of those who have been edged out of their jobs by substitutes. I consider that as many statues have been set up for me as there are men who display sometimes even unwillingsly, a living image of me. And so, there is no reason why I should envy the other gods because each is worshiped in his own corner of the world, and on set days too.

She is such a woman. ye, called Folly.

No comments: